Wednesday, January 12, 2011

So one thing I have figured out recently is that furniture is expensive!  And when it comes to decorating, I want everything done immediately.  I don't like waiting. 
So when I found out I would be moving, my cousin and I began making a list of things that we would need.  I bought a couch from my friends that lived in our house before us.  They were wanting something different and I loved the couch so I just bought it from them.  Lucky for me it was in great condition!

This is the couch.  I just got the picture from Ashley Furnitures website.


As soon as I knew we were moving, I began looking for furniture at yard sales and thrift stores (I call it "treasure hunting." And I LOVE treasure hunting!)
This was my first find.  I actually found 3 of them.  They came out of an old church that was close to our house.  They were not much to look at but the guy sold me 3 of them for $10. 

Before

After



I basically just sanded and painted two of them and they are now in our foyer.  The walls in there are a chocolate brown.  I'll put pictures of that up later.

For my next find I knew I wanted a buffet for our dining room.  I found this one at a yard sale and negotiated with the man so I got it for $30.  I was pretty impressed with myself.  Especially since my negotiating skills are lacking!

Before


After
(It's a terrible picture but I painted it a smokey gray color and the hardware is white.  I love it!  Except that the drawers get stuck, any suggestions on how to fix that?  They stick from the paint.  The picture is thanks to Karley.  I saw it in a resturant here in B'ham and she did a replica for me.  I'm having a frame made for it.  The size is not standard so I couldn't buy one.  The lamp is from a yard sale but has since been moved and replaced and the red candle sticks are from the thrift store.)

I got this chair from my granddad's storage buildings.  The same place I got this.  So it was free.

After
(I know it's bold, but I loved this fabric!)

This is a table we put in the kitchen.  There isn't a lot of room so it needed to be something small.  My cousin had this so she painted it and recovered the chair.  She also made a valence to hang on the window.

Before

After
There is another chair but it wasn't finished at the time I took the picture.

 So that's all for now.  There are still several things to show you, so hopefully I'll have those up soon!




2 comments:

The Haines said...

great job!! LOVE the buffet! Have you tried sealing the paint with a couple coats of polyurethane so it won't stick?

Karley said...

SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED

especially by that rooster painting, wow!