Monday, November 10, 2008

Ramblings.

Side Note: I still feel like my last post was such a dreary one. I should have elaborated more on the fact that God has completely provided for me in every way possible during this challenging time. Every time I start to doubt, He completely shocks me! I really don't know why it shocks me anymore, because I know He always comes through with more than I ever expected.



I have really been pondering a few things lately. The first is that I think I have learned so many things about life lately. Things I never expected to learn. So I think that I'm going to write a book. I'm pretty sure it will be a best seller! The title I've come up with so far is "Living Life & Growing Up: The Things They Don't Tell You"



It's going to be from a Christian perspective and each chapter will be about different things I have learned over the past few years. One chapter is going to be about money/financial information. I really think too many people believe that finances aren't supposed to be worried about until you are out on your own and making your own money. But by then, it's just too late.

When you aren't making any money, you begin to learn how to truly stretch a dollar. These are a few things I have learned lately:



1. Don't ever let your car get over 2RPMs. This will save you mega bucks on gas. If you are doubting me, just try it! Now I must warn you though, if you have no patience, this is probably not for you. For most cars, only driving 2RPMs means that you probably will not be driving over 60 mph. But you will definitely get way better gas mileage. You have to really watch it going up hills and when you first take off. That's when you use A LOT of gas. And you will probably be the slowest person driving on the interstate.
* I have converted a lot of people to my new way of driving.


2. If you do not have self control when you go shopping, then DON'T go shopping. I practice my self control when I am making the decision to go to the mall or not. Once I get in there, I'm hopeless, so for me I just don't go.



3. Don't eat out a lot. And if you do, learn to eat at places with a dollar menu. Avoid Chick-fil-A. They are a great Christian company with semi-healthy food, but unfortunetely they are super pricey. So if you are saving money, just don't go there.



4. Don't go to Target. Ever. There is something about that store that you can't just walk in and walk out without buying anything. I feel like I have to purchase something if I go in there. And don't buy shampoo and stuff like that at Target. They are usually more expensive.



5. Find fun things around you that are free. You will be surprised at how many different things there are to do that do not cost money.



6. Learn to be giving with what little you do have. Many times, it isn't so much money but your time. We usually spend more money when we are bored and do not have anything else to do.



7. Learn to make a budget and develop the discipline to stick to it.

So that's all I have for now. And no, I'm not really writing a book, but I really am learning enough right now that I feel like I could.

I haven't mentioned something new that has come up recently. I am now a volunteer at Children's Hospital. I'm not saying it so you can give me kudos, I'm just telling everyone because 1. It's finally something new in my life and 2. I think I'm going to have a lot to share from this experience.
It has been about a three month process just to be able to go in and get started. Last Friday was my first day and I absolutely loved it! I'm working in Orthopedics. It is way more hands on than I ever thought. I basically assisted in putting on and taking off cast. I've never broken a bone, so I haven't ever really seen the cast process. For those of you who haven't experienced that either, when you take off a cast, it is a terrible smell! One mom had to walk out because she thought she was going to throw up. It's like really smelly feet times 100. Ugh, I just ate dinner and it makes me a little woozy thinking about it.
I was suppsosed to be a nursery nanny (which meant I would rock the babies), but the times they had available just didn't work out. I think that may be best for now though. Every three months we have the option of changing our departments so I will definitely be considering that again for the future. It's so easy for me to put myself in the place of these people and I get a little overwhelmed with emotion. So I think it's best to introduce myself into this environment through orthopedics first.
I can't wait to share more about it with everyone!

I think that's all of my ramblings for now though. I'm going to try and get in the bed at a decent time tonight.

No comments: