Friday, March 14, 2008

I'm a slacker!

So I have majorly been slacking on the blog. My excuse is because I have not had much of anything going on in my life lately......well until a few days ago.

Just a recap of everything that has been going on:

First let me say that I'm graduating in August. (A long story as to why I am waiting until August, but it makes a lot of sense). Ok, so on that note I will be taking a class online this summer. This means that I will be mobile from May until August (I don't have to be in Dallas because the classes are online).

Since I don't have to be in Dallas I decided that I would go ahead and look for a job. This will be my last summer before complete financial independence from my parents (well as much as it will ever be...not sure the "complete" part will ever happen), and I was determined not to get a "real job" just yet (By "real job" I mean 100% full time). I have realized that the freedoms I have right now, will not always be. I just wanted to take advantage of this time a little more. So...after a few weeks of not really having a clue as to what I would do, I got a great suggestion from a friend. "Why don't you try to get a job at Student Life?"

My response: "What a great idea!"

So I get online and print off their application. I also learned that application deadlines were Jan. 31 (It was around Jan. 25). So I was on a time crunch. And I had to have reference letters sent in.

Thankfully everything was in on time. I applied to work in the Birmingham office (Student Life is based out of Birmingham). So this would mean I could move back home and live with the parentals for awhile to save some money. It would also allow me to be a part of ministry in a different way than what I have in the past. Very exciting!
I went for an interview in the middle of February and then they told me that I would hear something starting on March 1st. Well March 1st came and went...still no word. Then it was like March 7th and I still hadn't heard anything. I did call just to make sure that I hadn't deleted the email (they said they would let you know something either way). But the guy said they were still notifying people, so I didn't get too worried. Well finally on March 12th, I got a call. The girl was curious as to why they hadn't heard anything in response to the email they sent (which I never got). She said some other stuff and then told me that they would like to offer me the job. I was so excited! We discussed it some more and determined I would start on May 12th.
I hung up the phone and it hit me that May 12th is not that far away! For some reason I was just overwhelmed with a lot of emotions. I was so excited for this next step in my life, but I quickly remembered that to start a new chapter you have to end another one.

I have loved living in Dallas. I have been blessed beyond what I ever thought with friends and family here. It's going to be hard to leave this. As much as Alabama is home, this has been my home for the past three years.

But I really am so pumped about everything that is going on! It's only for the summer but I'm praying that this opens up more doors!
*Thanks Linz for the suggestion!

No comments: