Monday, March 31, 2008

An old goal that I'm trying to make new!

For quite some time now I have really wanted to start training for some type of marathon. Well, I'm thinking like a 5K.....is that still considered a marathon? Obviously I haven't really done my research. The problem I have is 1. I am not a runner (like not even a little bit. Never have been) and 2. I never have the time nor energy to run (I am in school 16 hours and working two jobs right now). But today I am proud to say that I made the first step in my "training." I ran/walked for a distance that was not extremely short but not long either. But it was a start. And it was over a mile. That's all I'm saying in regards to the distance.


So I begin my run around our neighborhood and the one next to us. All of the "real" runners run on the main roads, but I am far from that. The weather was AMAZING! It seriously could not have been any better. The sun was down but it wasn't dark, it was around 75 degrees, and the wind was blowing just perfectly. (Well when I say I was running, I should really just say jogging. Because there was no running actually involved.) So I'm continuing my jog and I turn the corner at the end of the street. When I look up I see this man and his young son walking towards me. I really was praying that their house would come before I passed them so that they couldn't hear me breathing hard (these are not my finest moments). But of course it did not. So I turned my IPOD down (I had the volume up really loud. This helps you not be able to hear that you are breathing loud and therefore you aren't focused on it as much.....consider that a helpful tip!) and then I try to get control of my breathing so that the man didn't think I was going to pass out. Well I am slowly (key word) approaching this man and his son when the man grabs his son and pulls him in the grass. Leaving me the entire sidewalk to pass them. I guess I looked like I was struggling and the man felt the need to help me out a little by not making me take the steps to go around him and his son. I wanted to say thank you but didn't want to waste any breath, so I just smiled.

I also had this other little boy that kept following beside me on his motorized scooter. It made me feel awkward and I wanted to ask him to stop, but I didn't. By the end of it, I felt like I made a new friend.


Besides the whole getting in shape and "training" for my marathon, it is a really great time to just reflect on things. There are no distractions and plenty of time to just think. It was very peaceful. I had a really cool experience too, but it almost sounds crazy so I won't share it.

I also feel the need to thank Barlow Girl and Carrie Underwood. "Never Alone" and "So Small" were my last two songs playing when I got to the end. They kept me going!


I really wanted to write about my "training" on here, because I think it will hold me more accountable. Hopefully sometime this summer I can participate in some type of 5K.


Another goal I have....not to wait until the last minute to start packing my stuff up to move home. Anyone that knows me, knows I am a last minute packer. I have accumulated a lot more stuff since I moved out here. It's going to take a while to sort through and organize so that I can successfully get it from Dallas to Birmingham. I only have a month and a week left....that's so weird!

Ok, I'm off to bed. I am substitute teaching tomorrow and I have to be there at 7am! Which by the way..I love that job! The students are great!

No comments: