Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Fur.

Lately the college and singles at church have been doing mission projects on Sunday afternoons. We are really trying to reach out to the Senior adults and single moms in our church and community. We haven't gotten to do a lot for single mom's yet, but we are doing an angel tree to help some of them out for Christmas.
The big thing we have done for senior adults is yard and house work. They are sooo appreciative and love it when we come over. Especially the widows. I think a lot of them just get bored and enjoy the excitement that 20-30 college and singles bring to their home.
So last Sunday we are at the home of an anonymous lady. I will call her "Betty." Actually, that really is her name. Anyways, we go in Betty's house and she shows us everything she needs done (which was only planting some flowers). Everyone has walked outside except for my friends Charli and Chad and me. At this point the three of us are just walking around the house as Betty shows us all of her Alabama memorabilia. Which was A LOT! She is a huge Bama fan and has two season tickets to all of the home games. She and her sister go together. They are in their 70's and that cracks me up! Before we could ever actually look at the China cabinet filled with everything University of Alabama, she was leading us into her guest room. So we looked at her framed turf straight from the field in 1982 and her d
ancing 'Big Al' and then she started going through her closet. While Ms. Betty is pulling out all of her old clothes, shoes, etc we look around at her pictures and everything else in the room. It was at this moment that I noticed the fur coat lying on her bed. So trying to butter her up and make the old lady feel good, I begin to make a big deal about her fur coat. Example: "Oh Ms. Betty I looooovvve your fur coat!" Well of course I didn't looooovvvvvveeee it. It is a fur coat, so I loved it as much as you can love a dead animal that wraps around your body. But I would never wear it. Fur coats just aren't me. Not because of PETA or anything, but just because you don't see many 24 year olds wearing fur these days. I don't think it is really a reflection of your social status like it used to be.Anyways...... before I could say anything else, Ms. Betty has picked up the jacket and is beginning to put my arms in it and wrap it around me! I know m
y eyes were huge! Charli and Chad are hysterical at this point. They are trying to stay composed but did a terrible job at it! So these are Ms. Betty's exact words to me, "Well hunny, I was going to give this to a homeless person, but if you love it so much, then you can just have it!" And she was serious and very excited to be giving it to me! She was very insistant that I wear it around that day. So I walk outside and everyone just looks at me. I lost it I was laughing so hard. All I could do was pick up a rake and begin raking the leaves while I'm wearing the fur coat.
My friend Joy, who knows everything about fashion and used to work at Gus Meyer, comes over and inspects the jacket and informs me that it is actually a real fur. I honestly thought it was fake. Ms. Betty was so excited and kept telling everyone how good it looked on me. I just smiled and kept asking her if she was sure that she wanted to give it away. She said yes.

Before we leave the Senior adults houses, we always try and pray over them. So at the end of the day, everyone gathered around Ms. Betty and prayed for her. My friend Stephen was behind me and he kept petting me throughout the prayer (Because I didn't take the jacket off in fear of hurting Ms. Betty's feelings).

The day after Thanksgiving I did decide I would run to the mall and just check out the sales. What a disappointment they were! But I did check out the furs in Belk and one that looked similar to the one given to me had a price tag of $8000! That's not a type-o. So who knows!

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with this coat. The sugggestion I have received many times is to sell it and give the money back to the ministry or use it to do more mission work. I just don't know how much someone will actually pay for it.
So if anyone is looking for a mink coat that's in great condition, PLEASE feel free to let me know!

Here is Charli and April modeling my new coat!

Stacey modeling the fur!

3 comments:

RaccoonMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RaccoonMan said...

It's gorgeous - are you nuts? Believe me there will be a time when you (and maybe your friends if you are generous enough) will love having that coat to wear into the snow or on a blustery cold night. Hang onto it. Furs aren't just for old rich ladies, they look beautiful on pretty 24 years olds too.

RaccoonMan said...

And if you are really selling it.. I'll find a lady to wear it.. let me know what you want for it..

Thanks Brittany.

rongav@gmail.com