Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Happy May Saturday!

December 17th is a special day in my family.  Basically when my cousin was first born 24 1/2 years ago, my grandmother started this tradition called May Saturday (It's not in May and it's not on a Saturday, so no idea why it's called that!).  I think she saw it in an old Shirley Temple movie.  Basically the gist of it is that you choose one day a year, and on this day you make a special effort to be with the ones you love.  

So every year since I can remember on December 17th (only my grandmother knows why this is the date she chose) we get together with my grandmother and my cousins.  For 6 1/2 years it was only me and my two cousins Candace and Kristen (Sis).  Then my sister came along and their little brother.  And now it's the five of us and Kaley and Logan (Candace's two kids).  And for every May Saturday my Grammy gives all of us a Christmas ornament.  When we were younger we would have tea parties (with real tea, crumpets, "cream," and sugar) and make cookies, but now we usually just have dinner or lunch together.

So Happy May Saturday everyone!  This is the first year I am actually home to celebrate.  So I'm off to see my Grammy.  Unfortunately, we all are grown up now and it's harder to meet on the actual day, so we are having May Saturday lunch on Sunday.  (I know that's so confusing!)

My Grammy has tried so hard to leave us with so many great memories and traditions.  I never appreciated them until I got older!  She loves the Gilmore Girls and now every Thursday night is Gilmore Family Dinner! haha!  We all meet at her house and eat together.  Another special thing with my Grammy is that we all have nicknames.  They were given to us when we were born and to this day she still calls us by them.
Candace:  Cupcake
Me:  Princess (Because I am! ha! jk!)
Kristen:  Cricket
Cassie:  Peaches
Trey:  Prince of the Forrest
Kaley:  Mia (Short for Pinchetamia....not sure about spelling= Which means "Little Darling Mine")
Logan:  Hunter

If you aren't around us, it just seems crazy, but it is one of those special things just between us.

This will sum up all of the grandkids relationships with my Grammy:

Monday I was in the car with Kaley and Grammy and Kaley tells Grammy: "Grammy, I just only like to go shopping with you because you let me have whatever I want."

That pretty much says it all!

1 comment:

The Lipman's said...

oh my gosh, i love this! this is so precious! enjoy your special special day!