Saturday, March 27, 2010

Never a dull moment.....

First let me say that I often wonder what Autumn and I's neighbors really think about us.  I'm not sure who they think really lives here.  In any given week, we will have a variety of 2-5 different cars outside the front of our house.  Some stay all night and some just come and go.  Between my sister, Autumn's sister, and all of our friends, we never know who might end up spending the night.  And usually about once a month we have people over, which means there are always tons of cars lining the street.

Today we are cleaning because we are having people over tonight to grill hotdogs.  That alone should be interesting because the last time I tried to grill hotdogs on my own was with Maggie in college, and it didn't go so well.  Apparently you have to let charcoal sit for a while before you put your food on there.  They were awful and I think if we would have eaten more than a bite to try them, we would have fell over right there from the taste of lighter fluid.

Soooo..... Autumn and I decide to leave the door open because it's so pretty outside.  I'm on the phone with my mom and walk into the living room to find this.......

Autumn's cat (who I already dislike) standing over a snake.  And it's still alive.  I just started screaming.  I let my mom go and Autumn comes in and starts screaming.  So we are both just screaming and looking at each other.  I think at this point we are both also standing on the furniture. 

Autumn kept telling me to do something.  I calmly told her I would not even attempt to get that thing out.  So she grabs the broom and just holds it down and tells me to go get help.  You would have thought we had some type of medical emergency.  So what do I do? I run down the street looking for someone to help.  No shoes on, just running down the street like a crazy person (I've never been good in situations like this.  I always seem to panick).  I ran one way and then noticed a man at the very end of our road in the opposite direction (4 houses down) cutting his grass.  I've never met him before but I think Autumn has.  Or at least they know her as the "lady that walks her dog at all ours of the day."

So I flag him down.  At this point he looks a little worried like I might be in trouble.  I just said "Sir.  We have a snake in our house and need you to get it out."  He said, "well... I don't really like snakes." I didn't really give him an option to not come and get it.  I just told him to grab a bucket or something and took off back to our house. 

So he comes over and gets it in his bucket.  Then we walk outside and several other neighbors are walking down the street to see what's going on.  His kids said they heard us yelling (4 houses down) over the lawn mower.  I wanted to ask why they didn't come and make sure we were ok then, but I didn't.  Hopefully we don't ever have a real emergency!

I know it's not that big, but I cringe to think where it would have gotten had I not walked in and found it.  Ugh!

Crazy Cat!

Thanks to these awesome woods behind our house, we find all kinds of little friends.


We also have scorpions that like to make an appearance in the summer!  I think last year we ended up finding between 25-30 of them in the house! Not all at once.  One day I had one hiding in my comforter on my bed!

I've searched everywhere online and apparently there isn't a whole lot you can do about this.

Here is another little friend we found in the driveway last year.


Ok, I have to stop thinking about it now! 

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

Kallie said...

Ugh. I would have freaked out, too!! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Jessica said...

you have got.to.be.kidding!! a scorpion in your BED?! you just gave me the willies!!! I could neverr handle that. and snakes, no wayyy.

Kate said...

Oh my gosh, yuck yuck yuck!!!! And I cannot believe you had a scorpion in your bed!!!!